Whitefield first achieved the International Schools Award in 2010. It is a national award that is open to schools in recognition of their international partnerships and global learning. Examples of this were:
- A two year multilateral project with schools from 6 other European countries – Spain, Portugal, Romania, Bulgaria, Italy and Poland. We exchanged and shared teaching ideas in Art & Design, Music, Dance & Drama, Employment skills, Sports and Kitchen & Garden activities. Pupils had the opportunity to visit Portugal and Bulgaria.
- Curriculum Weeks that had themes such as Friendship and Citizenship.
- A partnership between 2 classes in Whitefield and 2 classes in a school in Germany. Exchanges were through emails, letters and videoconferences.
- Developing awareness of countries and an understanding of their culture through studies on particular countries such as Japan following a visit to Whitefield by a group from the Ministry of Education, Science & Culture in Japan.
- Hosting an international teaching placement from a German teaching student attending Munich University.
- Raising money through school projects which was then sent to buy books, pencils and uniforms for a school in Namibia, South Africa.
- Involvement in the Operation Christmas Child Charity where Christmas gifts were made and sent through a national charity to children in less fortunate countries.
- Membership of the North London Schools International Network and also to the Multi-Agency International Training & Support project.
2017 we were re-accredited for another three years, with the British Council giving a particularly kind assessment of our work. You can read more about that here.
Whitefield continues its international work and is striving to expand any opportunities to raise awareness of other cultures and to give and receive ideas for international learning and development.