Our Outreach Service offers general training in SEND and more targeted training in the areas of autism, learning difficulties (including specific learning difficulties), hearing impairment and vision impairment. We are able to run all of our training sessions virtually.
In particular, to develop knowledge for working with children and young people with autism, we offer the Autism Education Trust (AET) Programme for schools and early years settings.
The Schools Programme is suitable for staff working with pupils aged 5-16 and the courses are as follows:
- Making Sense of Autism (2 hours) – basic autism awareness training for all staff
- Good Autism Practice (Day course, or 4 x 2 hour virtual sessions) - To support all practitioners working directly with pupils on the autism spectrum to develop their practice.
- Extending and Enhancing Good Autism Practice (2.5 hours) - This course will enable delegates to deepen their understanding of autism and the implications for practice.
- Leading Good Autism Practice (Day course, or 4 x 2 hour virtual sessions) – For staff in a leadership role, focusing on developing good autism provision
- The AET Progression Framework – hands on training using the framework to set learning goals and record progress
- Complex Needs and Participation (Day course, or 4 x 2 hour virtual sessions) – for staff working in a specialist provision to support pupils with complex needs and aid participation
Please contact Louise Langsworthy for more information about any of these courses.
Tel: 020 8531 3426
Whitefield offers a wide range of short courses for educational professionals who would like to deepen and broaden their knowledge of special educational needs.
All courses are taught by experienced experts and offer focused, accessible, practical information based on the latest research and best practice. Some courses are also accredited, offering certification.
To secure your place on all Whitefield-run courses, please contact Louise Langsworthy
Using Intensive Interaction
New date TBC due to school closure (Covid 19)
9.30am - 4.00pm
Intensive Interaction is a proven approach to building relationships with people who have learning disabilities, profound or complex needs, who find communication difficult or who can be socially challenging.
This all day course provides you with the knowledge and tools you need to put it into action, including the sensory processing issues you need to consider.
Hosted by Janet Gurney, Director of Training 'Us in a Bus'.
Cost: TBC per person including lunch. Booking Essential
Dates TBC 9.30am - 4.00pm
This 2 day course equips attendees with the skills to set up and run the 4 Stage Attention Autism programme. The training focuses on the practical aspects of intervention, working in a team and offering an irresistible invitation to learn. The Attention Autism programme targets the teaching of attention, communication and social interaction skills. Training is run applying the principles of the attention autism programme throughout each day. There are demonstrations of the techniques in action, films, practical hands-on experience for participants and ideas for activities. The intention is to share the practical skills needed for participants to feel confident in setting up and running the intervention immediately.
The workshops are run for groups of 25 people (with a maximum of 30 attendees), this is to ensure that the practical aspects of the workshop can be run in small groups making coaching and feedback effective.
Cost: TBC per person including lunch on both days. Booking Essential
Engagement for Learning
FREE ONLINE TRAINING
The engagement model is an assessment tool that helps schools meet their duties in supporting pupils who are working below the level of the national curriculum and who are not engaged in subject-specific study. The model is suitable for all pupils who have not yet met the whole of Pre Key Stage 1 in all subject areas. The engagement model replaces P scales 1 to 4 and will become statutory from the 2020/21 academic year.
15 attendees per program - participants are required to complete all three sessions
To book your place on this free training, please contact Louise Langsworthy